There are proposals to drill in our state waters right now. Our state relies on clean beaches for our economic and environmental well-being. Oil drilling in our state marine waters, which extend approximately three miles into the Atlantic Ocean and 10 miles into the Gulf of Mexico, is simply too great a risk to take.
DONT LET THEM DRILL IN OUR FLORIDA STATE WATERS!!
To assist in a state wide effort being driven by the Florida Wildlife Foundation, Audobon Society, Surfrider Foundation, and many other non-profits we NEED you to take a moment to print, fill out, and mail the petition for a State of Florida Constitutional Amendment that will allow voters to decide if oil drilling should take place in our State Waters.
PLEASE SIGN THE NEAR-SHORE OIL DRILLING BAN PETITITON
FLORIDA’S STATE WATERS EXTEND APPROXIMATELY THREE MILES INTO THE ATLANTIC OCEAN AND 10 MILES INTO THE GULF OF MEXICO.
IF THE PETITION EFFORT SUCCEEDS, FLORIDIANS WILL BE ALLOWED THE CHANCE TO BAN OIL DRILLING IN STATE WATERS IN NOVEMBER 2012
FLORIDA’S NUMBER ONE ECONOMIC DRIVER IS TOURISM. MILLIONS OF TOURISTS PUMP APPROXIMATELY $50 BILLION PER YEAR INTO OUR STATE. SOILED BEACHES MEANS FEWER VISITORS AND FEWER JOBS FOR FLORIDIANS.
THANK YOU FOR SIGNING THE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT PETITION TO ALLOW CITIZENS TO VOTE TO BAN OIL DRILLING IN OUR STATE WATERS. LET US PROTECT FLORIDA’S COASTS FOR OURSELVES, OUR CHILDREN AND OUR GRANDCHILDREN!
- WHILE OIL DRILLING IS PRESENTLY PROHIBITED BY STATE LAW, THAT LAW CAN BE CHANGED AT ANY TIME BY POLITICIANS IN THE LEGISLATURE. INDEED, IN 2009, LEGISLATORS IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES APPROVED LIFTING THE BAN. WE CAN ONLY SECURE THE NEAR-SHORE WATERS BY ALLOWING THE PEOPLE OF FLORIDA TO VOTE. ONCE IN THE CONSTITUTION, ONLY THE PEOPLE WILL BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT, NOT THE POLITICIANS.
- THIS BAN WILL NOT IMPACT, IN ANY WAY, THE PRESENT OIL DRILLING OPERATIONS IN FEDERAL WATERS; IT WILL SIMPLY PROTECT THE MARINE WATERS NEXT TO OUR COASTLINES.
- THIS ISSUE IS POLITICALLY NON-PARTISAN. FLORIDIANS LOVE OUR BEACHES NO MATTER PARTY AFFILIATION.
- THE BP DEEPWATER HORIZON DISASTER CLEARLY SHOWED US THAT OIL DRILLING IS NOT SAFE. IF THAT CATASTROPHE HAD HAPPENED ON THE COAST, IN FLORIDA WATERS, OUR ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT WOULD HAVE SUFFERED A DEVESTATING BLOW. A DRILLING BAN WILL STOP THAT POSSIBILITY.
- DOES AN OIL BAN BELONG IN THE CONSTITUTION? YES. ONLY ISSUES OF GREAT SIGNIFIGANCE SHOULD BE IN THE STATE CONSTITUTION, AND OIL DRILLING IS ONE OF THOSE. THE PEOPLE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO VOTE ON WHETHER WE WILL CONTINUE AS A MAJOR TOURIST DESTINATION KNOWN FOR OUR NATURAL BEAUTY. AS OUR WORLD-RENOWNED BEACHES ARE THE VERY ESSENCE OF FLORIDA, PROTECTION OF THE BEACHES BELONGS IN THE CONSTITUTION.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE PETITION
SURFRIDER FOUNDATION OPPOSES ANY NEW OFFSHORE OIL DRILLING
Last year the bill that stopped oil drilling off of the Atlantic and Pacific, United States coasts came up for renewal and was vetoed. The Surfrider chapters throughout the U.S. are working together to stop oil drilling off of the coasts.
We need you to get educated so that you too can help us fight our cause and help us spread the word regarding this matter.
Surfrider Foundation is opposed to any new offshore oil drilling.
Our nation’s oceans, waves and beaches are vital recreational, economic and ecological treasures that will be polluted by an increase in offshore oil drilling.
We strongly support reinstatement of the federal moratorium on new offshore oil drilling.
Instead of advocating for transient and environmentally harmful ways to meet America’s oil needs, we should seek a comprehensive and environmentally sustainable energy plan that includes energy conservation.
Click Here to take action now!!!!
Click Here to visit the blog site and learn more!
Click Here to find out why does Surfrider Foundation Oppose lifting the Oil Drilling Moratorium?
CLICK HERE TO SEND A LETTER OPPOSING OFFSHORE DRILLING
Can't see this image click here.
WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW
1. Federal Action Alert - Help us urge the Obama administration to demand more of a response at the spill site, and reinstate our Federal Offshore Moratorium. Over 10000 letters have been sent. Call the President leave him a message to restore the moratorium on all new offshore oil drilling. White House Hotline: 202-456-1111
2. State Action Alert (FL Only) –To assist in a state wide effort being driven by the Florida Wildlife Foundation, Audobon Society, Surfrider Foundation, and many other non-profits we NEED you to take a moment to print, fill out, and mail the petition for a State of Florida Constitutional Amendment that will allow voters to decide if oil drilling should take place in our State Waters. CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE PETITION
3. Walk your beaches daily to ensure so garbage or plastic debris is present. Do not disturb bird nesting areas!
4. Save the Date: Hands Across the Sand Nationwide.
5. DONATE TO SURFRIDERS NOT THE ANSWER CAMPAIGN and get a free sticker or T-Shirt.